How is everyone today? I have today off, and I have looots to do so that we can enjoy our weekend. I want to take a moment to thank all our Veterans for everything that they do.
I have a wonderful “Real Simple” recipe to share with you guys in the spirit of fall and everything squash. But first, for lunch I had another Lean Cuisine meal:
This one was Apple Cranberry Chicken on a bed or orzo pasta, and it was soo good, a perfect fall lunch.
And now…. one of my favorite squash friends made its first appearance at our house yesterday:
Baked Barley Risotto with Butternut Squash (from Real Simple Magazine)
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 small butternut squash (pictured above)– peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– Kosher salt and black pepper
– 1 cup pearl barley
-1/2 cup dry white wine
-3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
– 5 oz baby spinach
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
– 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or smart balance)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat the oil in a Dutch Oven or large oven-safe saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the squash, onion, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the barley to the veggies and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil; cover the pot and transfer it to the oven. Bake until the barley is tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, Parmesan, and butter. Serve with additional Parmesan.