How is everyone doing today?! Well I hope. I’m glad you guys liked my midweek confessions yesterday, I do believe I will be making them a weekly thing 🙂
I want to share a pretty bang-o-rang recipe with you guys. I told my hubby, all I wanted for Valentine’s day was for him to come home form work early and cook dinner with me 🙂 It was awesome!
Remember the last time I made stuffed peppers, and I almost cried because they were so bland? Well, I decided to suck it up and try my hand at stuffed peppers once again, and they were a hit!
Southwestern Stuffed Peppers (Via Real Simple)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck (or ground turkey)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 large bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- salsa, for serving
- Heat oven to 375° F. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites and beef and cook, breaking the beef up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the corn, chilies, cumin, cooked rice, ½ cup of the Monterey Jack, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Arrange the bell peppers, cut-side up, in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or pan. Divide the beef mixture among the bell peppers, add ½ cup water to the dish, tightly cover the dish with foil, and bake until the bell peppers are soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of Monterey Jack, and bake until browned, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and ¼ cup water. Drizzle over the bell peppers and top with the salsa and scallion greens.
One serving is one whole pepper, aka two halves, I wish I could have had more.
Luckily, I made enough so that both of us could take a serving to work. I shared mine with Sarah and Rose, they loved it, and we decided that I was going to make some for the ladies in our office and bring them for lunch in a few weeks.
Have a great Thursday!
What is the best thing you ate this week?