Cranio Update

Hello friends!

We went to the pediatrician on July 15 and he confirmed my fears. He said he felt ridges forming on Quinn’s skull. He recommended we get an ultrasound and schedule an appointment with a Neurosurgeon.

Before leaving the office, we called and scheduled her ultrasound at the hospital for that following Saturday and a Neurosurgery appointment for the following Tuesday.

In the interest of keeping it all to one post; we went to the ultrasound appointment on Saturday and it seemed like a freaking waste of time. It took forever and Quinn was MISERABLE. I ended up having to nurse her for like 30 minutes in order for them to finish the ultrasound.  After the ultrasound the lady said everything looked normal, but that we would need to get an xray in order to get an idea of what the bones in her head look like. Perfect, thank you all for wasting my time.  Erik and I were less than pleased. We called the Ped office after the ultrasound, and they gave me names of places we could go to get an xray before her appointment with the Neurosurgeon.

Luckily I found a place that didn’t require and appointment and was open until 5 during the week.  So we waited until Monday, and my sister thankfully met me there. This was hands down the WORST experience of my life. I cannot even begin to describe how she screamed, TEARS streaming down her face. She looked at me like mommy please save me, what is going on. It broke my heart, and my sister and I both cried. We got the xrays on a CD and went on our way.

Fast forward to Tuesday, Erik and I both took the day off to take her to the appointment. We got there early and waited…. and waited.. for almost TWO hours. It was horrible. My stomach was in knots the entire time and I just couldn’t function. They finally called us back and we waited in the room for a few until the Neurosurgeon came in.  He took one look at her and said she was fine! I mean he also looked at her ultrasound and her xrays, but he felt her head a little and said that yes her pathways were fusing a little early,  but he thought that they would slow down as she started sitting up more. I have never wanted to hug a doctor so much in my life. We were so relieved. He told us to take pictures of her head from the top, side and front each month and check them to see what they look like. He said if we thought it was getting worse to bring her in again, but he didn’t think it would happen. He also made it seem like the surgery was mostly for cosmetic purposes, unless there was a severe deformity.

It has been a whirlwind the last few weeks, but I am thankful we took her in and got the okay!

Sorry for being so late to post about this, I just couldn’t get myself to write about it while it was going on.

I hope everyone has a great day!



Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s