As promised, an amazing Slow Cooker Butter Chicken recipe I found on Pinterest and I changed it up a little bit. I didn’t have cardamom, so I used nutmeg and cinnamon instead. I also didn’t have any cilantro or lime, but I am sure those would add to the amazing flavor.
I made some rice for Quinn and the boys and they loved it. It was really easy to prep and the slow cooker did most of the cooking. I think the recipe could use a little spice to it. If I wasn’t making it for kids I would have added the cayenne pepper. Next time I might add some curry powder to it.. I love me some curry. Let me know if you make it and if you changed anything; I would love ideas to change it up too!
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Print
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼c Cilantro, or to taste
- In a medium saute pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent and fairly tender. Add garlic, ginger, spices, and salt. Cook 1 minute longer, until all the spices are fragrant. Stir in coconut milk and tomato paste and stir until well combined.
- Place the chicken to the slow cooker and pour the sauce over everything; stir to make sure it is all combined.
- Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Shred or dice chicken into the sauce, squeeze in lime juice, top with cilantro, and serve.